So I’ve been a bit of a Negative Nancy in my last few blog posts. I think it’s time to lift the mood a little with some good news. The following image:
… Means that I am officially able to enter the US! Huzzah!
Additionally, everything else from my last emo post has since been resolved, so I’m feeling pretty good right about now!
Thursday, August 26th, 2010 | Posted in Life | Comments Off on On the bright side…
To date, I have owned two iPods: An iPod video (5th Generation), and an iPod Touch (2nd Generation). I am going to start this post with a disclaimer: I like many things about my iPod Touch. It is lightweight, has a good battery life, and does most of what I need from it. Apps are cool too. If given a choice, I would probably buy it again, and when I get another MP3 player, there is a good chance it will be another iPod.
That said, I have some major gripes with iTunes, and to a lesser extent, the iPod. Here they are, in no particular order:
In my experimentation with the Windows Phone 7 developer tools, certain things have been a little hard to find information on. Here’s some of the best resources I have found, along with little nuggets of good information I have discovered and want to document.
- MSDN Windows Phone 7 forums – often my own questions were answered here. Search up the top for what you’re interested in.
Also keep in mind that the Windows Phone 7 SDK is based mainly on Silverlight, so many resources that apply to Silverlight can be readily applied to WP7.
Checking internet connectivity
It’s suggested in several places that Windows Phone 7 developers should test for internet connectivity in their internet-connected applications, as it is not a guaranteed resource (and of course, respond accordingly if no connection is available). However, there are few places that document how to actually do this. In the Beta version of the tools, the correct way is by testing the result of the following function:
// Available in the System.Net.NetworkInformation namespace bool connected = NetworkInterface.GetIsNetworkAvailable();
Note that this has changed from the CTP version of the tools.
Creating a scrollable region
Another seemingly under-documented feature is how to create a region that scrolls using the typical finger scrolling action. Fortunately, this is as simple as wrapping your controls in a ScrollViewer element:
<ScrollViewer> <!-- Insert controls here --> </ScrollViewer>
This gives you scrolling momentum for free, along with a little position scrollbar that appears as you scroll. Very easy!
Friday, August 6th, 2010 | Posted in Code | Comments Off on Windows Phone 7 Beta tools
Lately I’ve been getting the occasional error from my WebFaction instance – alerting me that a running MySQL query had been shut down because it had been running for too long and was slowing the system. Here’s the offending SQL query:
SELECT /*!40001 SQL_NO_CACHE */ * FROM `phpbb_search_wordmatch`
Very mysterious. The offending table is one relating to my phpBB instance. I did not have any further information at hand to work out what was going on, and so my first port of call in attempting to resolve the issue was to adjust my phpBB search settings. However, a few days later, the error occurred again – back to the drawing board.
My next step was to inspect the source code of phpBB. However, I could not find anything that would produce SQL like the above statement.
And then it occurred to me. I started receiving the error messages about the same time as I set up a Cron database backup job. Sure enough, all the errors were coming through at around the same time of day, coinciding with when the backups were scheduled to run. A quick web search confirmed that running mysqldump against very large tables was a typical culprit for long-running SQL statements.
Once I knew the source of the error, the fix was very simple: Because the table in question is just an index table for the purposes of searching posts (i.e. not essential data to backup), it was just a case of adding –ignore-table=db.phpbb_search_wordmatch to the mysqldump command line in my cron job. Now, the search index table is skipped in my backups, resulting in smaller, faster backups, and no more error messages!
I couldn’t find much information about this problem specific to phpBB or Webfaction, so hopefully this helps someone else out!
Monday, August 2nd, 2010 | Posted in Intarwebs | Comments Off on MySQL backups causing problems