@font-face

I’ve recently been playing around with yet another new theme for tom.net.nz. Said theme will be extremely minimal, with no graphics, and only uses colour, layout and typography to be attractive and readable. As part of exploring the typography, I’ve been experimenting with ways to get custom fonts into all parts of the design.

Of course, I’m well familiar with dynamic text-replacement options. However, these are typically only suitable for titles, and not large amounts of body text, as rendering large swathes of text quickly becomes expensive. And so I started exploring @font-face. This is a relatively new CSS technique that involves linking to an actual font file on the internet somewhere, and letting the browser handle rendering of text into that font family. A few things I’ve learnt through this exploration:

As a side note, I elected to use Cufon for text-replacement in titles and headings. If all goes well, I may be deploying this new theme in a week or two!

Leave a Reply